Woodford Town Fc History question.

Our main forum section

Topic author
Mouseman

Woodford Town Fc History question.

Post by Mouseman »

I used to go to Snakes lane to see Woodford Town around 1983-84. They were in the Southern league and getting gates of between 30-50. All the North London non-league sides were getting terrible gates in those days. Even Orient in the old division 3 were only getting about 2,500. However, in 1987 Woodford Town drew Orient in the first round of the FA Cup and got a gate of about 2,000. They also sold Paul Williams to Charlton for 10 grand ( that was huge money in non-league in 1987.) It seems that despite all this and finishing 3rd in the league they dropped down to the Essex Senior league the following season. By 1993 they'd been evicted for non payment of rent. I know that McBean was somehow involved in all this. Does anyone know what happened to cause this steep decline ? There was a nightclub attached to the ground called Woodys which for a while was a good place to get served if you were underage (which I was) and I know this burnt down at some point but I think that was a bit later in the 1990's. Can anyone fill in the gaps in my knowledge?

jackgg

Re: Woodford Town Fc History question.

Post by jackgg »

There's some more information in this article (and in the comments below): http://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2009/08/ ... -2003.html