Return to football

Our main forum section

Topic author
jackgg

Return to football

Post by jackgg »

Interested to know how people are feeling about the return of football matches given the relaxing of the lockdown in the UK.

If games have to be played without fans i.e. behind closed doors (BCD), should we refuse to play? Football without fans and all that...

Does anyone feel that we shouldn't be playing at all (either BCD or not), to protect players (I'm assuming the testing etc. which has happened in the Premier League won't be affordable for clubs at our level)?

How do you feel as a fan about going back to games, would you like masks to be mandatory, 1 way systems, social distancing, etc. or not that bothered? Would you feel comfortable buying a programme, food, drink, etc.?

Worth saying that this is all hypothetical, at the time of writing we haven't had any guidance from the FA/leagues about games, AFAIK.

Also not saying that any of this is how I feel...

SPhoenix

Re: Return to football

Post by SPhoenix »

The Non League Paper are also doing a survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/non-league-return

dowdinsk

Post by dowdinsk »

Just a couple of spanners to throw in:
Some players will be experiencing negative mental health impacts from the lack of football as we know it, how to balance that against mitigating a pandemic?
Ditto some fans.
Obviously we find other outlets, but it's not the same?
Although for some of us when we eventually get into the OSD that's an outlet for some pride and joy and physically-distanced workouts, and they do say a change is as good as a rest.

Caminho

Post by Caminho »

Personally speaking I think games should not take place if no fan attendance is allowed, but think it's ultimately a decision for M1T/W1T/match day.

I think it'll be hard to enforce any rules re: masks/social distancing once the excitement of the match gets underway.

dowdinsk

Post by dowdinsk »

You'd need to ban drinking and vaping, etc to enforce the wearing of masks strictly so for us that'd be a non-starter?

But anyway, here's the latest from the Sports Grounds Safety Authority on re-opening for spectators from October
https://mailchi.mp/39a34b03debb/sgsa-ne ... -july-2020

Update from the CCFC members newsletter, 20/7/2020:
Grassroots football to return but how?

The Non League Paper ran a survey two weeks ago with around 7,000 supporters responding with regards to how they would like to see grassroots football return.

The results are now available and there’s an article covering them on their site. https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.c ... n-restart/

evieg

Post by evieg »

There's now a working group looking at this for all of the teams and there will be comms coming out v soon around some of the issues/challenges that the club has, if you want to get involved in the group, make yourself known below...

Caminho

Post by Caminho »

evieg wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 10:48 There's now a working group looking at this for all of the teams and there will be comms coming out v soon around some of the issues/challenges that the club has, if you want to get involved in the group, make yourself known below...
I'm interested!

islandleague

Post by islandleague »

tell me about it dude ..... cant wait to go to stadiums to watch my favorite teams once again
football is the best

islandleague

Post by islandleague »

same here
football is the best

Topic author
jackgg

Post by jackgg »

Anyone else a bit surprised that we're going ahead with games this weekend? Last I checked, Waltham Forest had the 2nd-highest rate of positive cases in London, with Newham and Hackney not far behind, and London will be in Tier 3 restrictions from Wednesday.

Also, the W1T game on Sunday just gone was postponed because "a few of our players have tested positive" according to the club Twitter.

I get that it should be up to the team committees whether to play or not (and hopefully players feel that they are able to say so if they don't want to), but surely as a club we have a duty of care to the players, staff, volunteers, fans, community, etc. - not least a week before when many might be planning to spend time with family, etc.